Books and Bagels and Morning Book Break Book Discussions on The Book of Unknown Americans
Rating: In Books and Bagels, most members rated the book between a 3.0 and 4.0, with the median score of 3.5.
In Morning Book Break, this book received ratings from 2.0 to 5.0, with the median score of 3.75.
Review: The discussion in Books and Bagels was multi-faceted. Several members really enjoyed the novel and plan to read additional material by Cristina Henriquez. Some members felt the novel was lacking in many aspects.
In Morning Book Break, members mostly appreciated the content (pertaining to the immigrant experience), but thought the prose was lacking.
Both groups thought Suburban Mosaic accomplished its mission by selecting this novel as the adult title for the 2015-2016 Book of the Year. The Suburban Mosaic’s mission is to foster cultural understanding through literature.
Discussion Highlights – Morning Book Break:
- Several members thought the novel would be a wonderful addition to high school or possibly middle school curriculum.
- The club discussed US immigration and assimilation throughout their lifetimes.
- Many members disliked the disjointed structure and felt these stories and characters to be underdeveloped.
Discussion Highlights – Books and Bagels
- Many members were disappointed with the structure of the novel. They found the prose to be better suited to a young adult reader.
- All members found it an extremely easy, fast read.
- Some members felt they learned a lot about the current immigration experience, while other members thought the book did not add any new information to their repertoire of knowledge about immigration.